Outings EscortJuly 16, 2019
Role: Outings Escort
Responsibilities to: Project worker who organised the activity
Time commitment: Ad hoc
Location: Community based
What is the role?
Transport is essential for bringing helping our members access the services and activities that MAECare provides. This could be for a few hours or a full day out in Yorkshire. This can be at our office or in the community. We use a variety of transport to help older people including taxis, mini-buses and coaches. Our outings escort volunteers help our members to get on and off transport, providing a helping hand or pushing a wheelchair. Some people just need someone to assist them at either end of the journey and others need support whilst on the transport – for example to remind and reassure them what they are travelling to or to check they have their keys ready on return home.
Your role will include:
- Being flexible to be called as needed. Sometimes we have regular escorts on the local access bus and sometimes we have one-off trips.
- Supporting others who may be physically disabled so a reasonable level of fitness and mobility is required for volunteers who will be assisting vulnerable people on and off transport.
- Pushing a wheelchair and offer support to those who needed (full training provided).
- Providing reassurance to members who might be confused or distressed due to memory loss or mental illness. A patient and caring nature is important.
- Meeting a wide variety of older people so you should enjoy meeting and supporting older people, with good communication skills.
- Be willing to attend any training as necessary
- Be willing to work within all MAECare policies and procedures
Benefits & support for MAECare:
- Full induction training provided including safeguarding and dementia awareness.
- Wheelchair use and assisting training essential for this role.
- ID badge provided to wear whilst volunteering.
- Expenses for travel and other agreed sundries.
- A contact member of staff.
- Regular contact with the charity and dedicated volunteer social events.
- We can offer references to long-standing volunteers that have not breached our policies or code of conduct.
If you need advice or would like further information not available on our website then don't hesitate to contact us:
Leeds, LS17 5JD
Latest TweetsFollow us on Twitter!
- We’ve been getting into the #Christmas spirit today by making our own Christmas card prints. Can anyone remember ma… https://t.co/qLF3IpsFwf
- A poem about #ageing from one of our members of the #creativewriting group Let’s share and retweet and start talki… https://t.co/8xQ6UCFQQA
- RT The Tower of London @TowerOfLondon: They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the goin… https://t.co/lZsW9Bon7F