Keep Healthy!December 28, 2018
Spring may be around the corner but we’ve still got a few more weeks of winter to get through. Tips from Public Health England to keep healthy during winter:
- If you’re 65 and over, make sure you by getting your free flu vaccine before the end of November. Visit your GP or local pharmacy to find out more
- If you are the main carer for someone who is elderly or disabled, speak to your GP or pharmacist about having a flu vaccine along with the person you care for flu vaccine
- Check up on your elderly neighbour or relative. Winter can be an isolating time for some people. Why not pop in for a cuppa or ask if they need anything from the shops?
- Cold weather triggers asthma symptoms. Make sure you have your reliever inhaler on you throughout winter
- Keep curtains closed to stop draughts at night
- Two layers are better than one. Keep warm and layer up this winter
- Got cold feet? Keep warm in bed with a hot water bottle or electric blanket
- Try to keep your home at least 18C
- Most common winter ailments, such as; coughs, colds, sore throat and earache cannot be treated with antibiotics. It’s important that you get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluid, have a hot meal and see your pharmacist if you need further advice.
- Consult a pharmacist at the first signs of a winter illness. They’re medically trained and can provide appointment free advice
- Feeling under the weather? Not sure which service can help you? Call NHS 111, available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Keeping active will help you stay healthy (and warm!) If you can’t make it outside, walking and stretching in doors is a good alternative
- Getting outside while its light can help fight off winter tiredness.
Find out about the best ways to stay well this winter: https://www.nhs.uk/staywell/
If you need advice or would like further information not available on our website then don't hesitate to contact us:
Leeds, LS17 5JD
Latest TweetsFollow us on Twitter!
- Our amazing #volunteer team is still going strong. Here’s June’s volunteer update #makeadifference #TogetherLeeds… https://t.co/QbRDsrIwMx
- RT Swarthmore Leeds @SwarthmoreLeeds: Swarthmore Online Week 3 FREE courses now live! Visit our website to enrol 👇👇👇 https://t.co/SZY9NVUNIb Please… https://t.co/ZpBl4fsN6I
- RT Age UK @age_uk: The @metoffice has issued a hot weather alert for this week. ☀️ Older people may be more vulnerable during a… https://t.co/kVipnjxRwd