Friendly VisitorJuly 16, 2019
Role: Friendly Visitor
Responsibilities to: Project Worker for Advocacy & Casework
Time commitment: Minimum 6 months commitment. Visits can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
Location: Community based
What is the role?
MAECare recognises that some older people can become isolated and lonely, this has a detrimental impact on their physical and mental health. In order to reduce social isolation the friendly visitor service whereby volunteers visit older people in their own homes on a regular basis. The service is to provide a social link to those who may be housebound, temporarily or permanently or may struggle to socialise in groups. You will be carefully matched with a member and accompanied by the MAECare project worker on the introductory visit and if required to make regular appointments. This is not a sitting role and you will not be required to perform any household tasks or personal care duties.
Your role will include:
- Visiting older people in their own homes or the community, on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.
- Building rapport with the older person.
- Being a listening ear.
- Encourage the older person in conversation, pursue or develop an interest or hobby.
- Reporting any areas of concerns to the Project Worker and adhere to MAECare safeguarding policy and procedures.
- To keep an accurate note of all visits on the Volunteer Hours Record Form and submit these at least quarterly to the Project Worker.
- To keep in regular contact with Project Worker and provide informal feedback.
- Complete MAECare volunteer training and be aware of and work within MAECare policies.
- To have MAECare ID on person when visiting.
Benefits & support for MAECare:
- Full induction training provided including safeguarding and dementia awareness.
- DBS check provided.
- ID badge provided to wear whilst volunteering.
- Expenses for travel and other agreed sundries.
- A contact member of staff.
- Regular contact with the charity and dedicated volunteer social events.
- We can offer references to long-standing volunteers that have not breached our policies or code of conduct.
If you need advice or would like further information not available on our website then don't hesitate to contact us:
Leeds, LS17 5JD
Latest TweetsFollow us on Twitter!
- A huge congratulations to our member Trude for a much deserved recognition of her tireless hard work with the Holoc… https://t.co/UGEo89JwP6
- Here’s Ronnie having a dance with one of our staff members at the #festive meal celebration. You’re never too old t… https://t.co/1rMHcqprg7
- Yum 😋 thanks @WestwardCare amazing #christmas desert. https://t.co/nbjDP7cnmO