Keeping Mind and Body Healthy
All of our classes remain suspended for the time being. To find out about on line classes, contact Julie.
People often talk very openly about how they feel physically, but sometimes we hesitate to share how we’re doing emotionally. Knowing that both sides are very important for overall health, MAECare’s Mind and Body Project encourages older people to take care of themselves and seek support when they need it. Our current activities are shown below.
- EXTEND this is adapted gentle exercise to music, which can be done standing or sitting. There are 2 sessions during the week.
- Mondays 11:00am-12:30pm and 1:20pm – 2:50pm at Moortown Baptist church £2.50 a session for members
- Chair based Exercise Offering gentle exercise and stretching to music
Every Wednesday (term time) 1.00-2.30pm at St Pauls Church
- Yoga – this is Dru Yoga adapted for older people with a strong meditative element. Term times on a Friday 10:00am -11:00 am at St Paul’s Church Hall, Buckstone Crescent (off King Lane)
- Swimming at David Lloyd Centre. Term times Wednesday 2.00pm Get in touch with Rhonda for more information
- Zumba Gold classes Wednesdays 10-11 at St Paul’s Church Hall, Thursday 10-11 at St Stephen’s Church Hall. Popular dance-based class led by Donna. Please contact Julie at the MAECare office for more details.
- Methods for Relaxation Stress or worry getting you down? MAECare has lots of ways to unwind while also meeting new friends.
- Knitting A fun and friendly therapeutic group. We can teach if you want to learn and we have plenty of materials to get you started! Thursdays 2pm, 57a.
- Massage Low-cost massage treatments, twice a month. Tue/Fri afternoons, 57a.
- A listening ear It sometimes just helps to have someone to talk to. If you ever want any one-on-one support from a friendly staff member or volunteer, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- Tai Chi Monday mornings 11.00 -12.00 St Paul’s Church Hall.
- Dance On are fun, accessible dance sessions designed for older people. No previous dance experience is required and a qualified dance tutor from Yorkshire Dance runs the sessions. Dancing can improve mobility, prevent falls, and enhance mental wellbeing and brain function. The classes are weekly on a Tuesday from 1.30-2.30pm at Moortown Methodist Church hall, Alderton Rise, LS17. Run in partnership with Yorkshire Dance and Sport England Funding.
- Monthly “Health and Wellbeing” sessions are offered by MAECare covering a variety of topics from mobility, diet, mental wellbeing, scams and frauds and information on heart health. Please check the latest newsletter for more details.
Postcode Community Trust is a grant-giving charity funded entirely by players of the People’s Postcode Lottery. Our project received £16,362 from the Trust to support out Healthy Minds and Bodies Project.
If you need advice or would like further information not available on our website then don't hesitate to contact us:
Leeds, LS17 5JD
Latest TweetsFollow us on Twitter!
- We need your support now more than ever during Covid-19! We’ve created an amazon wishlist of things our project wor… https://t.co/ZGZZUEcGrD
- We are recruiting! We need an experienced Project Worker for Digital Inclusion (18.5 hours per week) to replace th… https://t.co/G6YjZS890n
- RT Leeds Council News @LeedsCC_News: If you have #coronavirus symptoms, you must get tested. Testing is free and available for everyone in a number of w… https://t.co/mZvT8gP34p